~ Hope Hoffman résumé of ~
Teaching Dance and Theater
You can also sign up here to get our quarterly newsletter.
Descriptions of some workshops are here.
"It isn't just any musician/dance
leader who can keep a bunch of kids singing, dancing and having fun for
45 minutes. The very talented Hope Hoffman did just that. She is focused,
enthusiastic, flexible and responsive. She was also warm and inviting,
and kept the group on track with gentleness and skill. All of us had a
Workshops ~ Artist-in-Residence ~ Dance Classes
Since 2002 I've included live music in dance and movement sessions. Here are some of the highlights of the last few years.
· Series of creative movement workshops with live music at the Children's Museum & Theatre of Maine as part of "Dancing with Books," a literacy program combining reading with music and movement, spring 2010
· Parent-Child Creative Folk Dance at Rising Tide Community Market's grand opening, fall 2009
· Kids Dance Party with live music for parents and children, folk dance and creative movement program at St. Lawrence Arts & Community Center, fall 2008.
· Parent-child workshop
combining folk dance, structured creative movement, free dance and singing
games, with live, traditional fiddle music. At the Maine
Discovery Museum in Bangor.
· Parent-child creative folk dance classes at HeartSpeak studio in Topsham, fall 2008.
· Childrens' folk dance and creative movment with live music at Ossipee Valley Bluegrass Festival in Cornish, Maine, summer 2008.
· Kids' Dance Parties at the Brunswick
public library: 45-minute sessions of informal creative movement games
and folk dances, all with live fiddle/guitar music.
· Visiting Artist, Children's
Museum of Maine, creative movement and simple traditional dances,
all with live fiddle and guitar music.
· Dance workshops and performances with live music for parents and children at the Long Island Children's Museum, February 2007
· Visiting Artist, Bowdoinham
Community School, first grade class; workshop and performance with
creative movement and live music.
· Private dance instructor, Bowdoinham, Maine,
· Creative movement instructor, throughout Children's Theater of Maine's summer camp in Portland, summer 2004
· Artist-in-residence for Bowdoinham Community
Food Project/Bowdoinham Community
School; creative movement and music.
· Dance instructor, after-school community dance classes, April/May 2003 at Freeport High School
· Dance instructor, 15-class session for beginning
dance students with live music, Freeport High School, Maine.
· Workshop leader for dance and theater, Freeport High School, fall 2002
· Workshop teacher, creative movement with live music, Bowdoinham Days fair, Bowdoinham, Maine, fall 2002
· Created and led dance activities for literacy
program in elementary schools, Bloomington, IN, 1999-2000
· Dance instructor, Windfall Dance Studio. Taught
ballet, modern and creative movement classes to children ages 4-18. Bloomington,
• Created and led dance activities, in addition to everyday preschool classroom teaching, as Assistant Teacher at Bloomington Montessori School, Bloomington, IN, 1998-1999
· Certified in environmental education course, Water Education Training, 1997
· Reading and math tutor, 1991-1993
Arts Camps ~ After-School Programs ~ Performance Projects
A musician was part of the teaching staff for all these programs; we developed creative and theatrical movement working with the musician and interpreting the script.
For ages 7-10 (grades 1-5), 8-week sessions (14-classes)
"A Story Dance of the History of Bowdoinham," an original script with interpretive movement and live fiddle and guitar music. Hope Hoffman worked as the instructor, writer, director, choreographer and musician.
Classes were held at Bowdoinham Community School, Bowdoinham, Maine, fall 2002.
The show was performed at Bowdoinham Community School, and at the Children's Museum of Maine.
Another session of classes were held at Bowdoinham Community School, Bowdoinham, Maine, spring 2003.
The show was performed at Bowdoinham Town Hall.
Hope Hoffman was instructor/director/choreographer for creating a performance of a selection from Carl Sandburg's "Rootabaga Stories." Carl Sandburg was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1951, and his collection of charming and imaginative children's stories provided a wonderful springboard for experimental and humorous theater.show featuring creative movement, voice and live music on fiddle and upright bass.
Classes were held at Bowdoinham Community School, Bowdoinham, ME, fall 2003
The show was performed at the Bowdoinham Town Hall
· Creative movement instructor, at the Bath Recreation Department Artworks camp. Worked with musicians and students ages 5-12 to explore sound and movement, and creative process, and present an interpretation of the children's book "The Big Orange Splot." Bath, Maine, February 2005
· Director and instructor, 3-week children's summer dance camp. Taught technique and improvisation, choreographed, produced performance for children ages 8-16. Bloomington, IN, 1999
Town Hall Theater Group shows written by Hope Hoffman, presented with young performers:
July 2004, "SuperTutu's Big Day" with 2 young
actors in lead roles
May 2004, "Spring versus Mud" with 7 young actors
performing movement theater
November 2003, "Hunting, Haunting" with a child
as the narrator
September 2003, "SuperTutu Goes Back to School"
a show for young audiences with 6 children from the audience participating
June 2003 "The Adventures of SuperTutu" with
4 children performing dance movement
Photo by Troy Bennett, copyright Times-Record